Por La Libre 3km and 10km Open Water Swimming Competition highlights the beauty of the Cancun Underwater Museum & the Mexican Caribbean
Swimming is the fastest growing activity in the world of sports and takes center stage in the upcoming Por La Libre 2011 (PLL ’11) swimming event taking place June 2-4, 2011 in Cancun. Considered one of the most important open-water events in Mexico and renowned for its beauty and complexity, the event will feature about 1,000 competitors between the ages of 15 and 70 from various swimming associations and clubs, as well as independent swimmers from all around Mexico, Latin America, U.S.A. and UK.
The 2011 competition will be the 6th annual Por La Libre Open Water swimming event and will cover a distance of about 6 miles from Isla Mujeres to Punta Cancun (island to island), attracting large numbers of families and enthusiasts to watch the event and enjoy the beauty of the crystal waters, swimming over the magnificent reefs, flora, and fauna that only the Mexican Caribbean can offer.
The 2011 event will have the honor of being the only open water swimming event where all competitors will have the opportunity to swim over the amazing Under Water Museum and see its 400 submerged sculptures. http://www.underwatersculpture.com/pages/gallery/evolucion-silenciosa.html You will find more information about the Cancun Underwater Museum (MUSA) on this blog and also at http://cancun.travel/en/things-to-do/water-sports/cancuns-underwater-museum/
Program of activities for the PLL’11:
THURSDAY, JUNE 2nd, 2011:
• Registration day from 5 PM until 8 PM at the BeLive Grand Viva Hotel
• Information meeting 7 PM.
FRIDAY, JUNE 3rd, 2011:
• Registration from 2 PM to 8 PM at the BeLive Grand Viva Hotel.
• Positions assigned at the BeLive Grand Viva Hotel
• Mandatory information meetings: 4 PM, 5:30 PM & 7 PM at the BeLive Grand Viva Hotel
SATURDAY, JUNE 4: MAIN EVENT (LIVE STREAMING THROUGH USTREAM AND LIVESTREAM)
• 5:50 a.m. Re-assignment at the pier at Isla Mujeres.
• 6:10 a.m. The boat will sail to Isla Mujeres for the 10k and to the 3k starting points.
• 7:30 a.m. the race starts.
• 1:30 PM Award Ceremony at the BeLive Grand Viva Hotel
Images from last years event: