Cancun, Quintana Roo, May 6th, 2009. Despite the fact of the influenza A (H1N1) outbreak that Mexico is facing that has directly impacted the tourism industry nationwide, it is important to point out that the activity in this important destination remains active, as follows:
The tourism industry, including hotels, restaurants, theme parks, shopping centers, city transportation and marinas, are implementing sanitary measures in order to avoid any possible transmission of this virus.
- The Quintana Roo Secretary of Tourism, Sara Latife Ruiz Chavez, informed that the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH) authorized the reopening of the archaeological sites in Quintana Roo, as well as in the rest of Mexico.
- Hotels such as the domestic chain Real Resorts are reinforcing their hygienic measures by setting alcohol-based hand cleaners in all the hotel areas, including their suites.
- Theme parks like Xcaret and Xel-Há remain open and with normal operations. They have confirmed that they will keep their full staff, through a joint agreement with their 2,300 employees.
- Dolphin Discovery Group continues operating without any change within their properties in Isla Mujeres, Puerto Aventuras and Cozumel, as well as Aquatours Marina and Garrafon Park. Their staff will continue working as usual.
- Río Secreto and Alltournative reported their regular operations.
- The Mexican Caribbean Golf Association has confirmed the regular operation of its twelve associates, including their brand-new partner Bahía Príncipe Riviera Maya Residencial Golf Resort, which will open next August. This Association has confirmed as well that Pok-ta-Pok Golf Course will invest an important amount of money in order to improve both, the course and the equipment.
- Restaurants such as Grill 14, Crab House, Carlos’n Charlie’s, Mamá Roma y El Shrimp Bucket are open and operation under extreme hygienic measures, and are offering attractive promotions for the upcoming Mother’s Day.
- Benito Juarez City Hall has announced that starting May 7th, bars, nightclubs and movie theaters within Cancun and Puerto Morelos will open their doors, at 40% of their capacity, accordingly to Mexico’s Ministry of Health recommendations.
- The 3rd King Polo Cup will take place as planned on May 9th, 10th, 15th and 16th at El Rey Polo Country Club, in Puerto Morelos.